Memory Improvement Articles
- Simple Ways to Improve Your Memory
- Things that Make it Hard to Improve Your Memory
- Reasons Why You Need To Increase Your Memory
- How to Improve Memory in 15 Minutes a Day
- Improved Memory - Its Uses and Advantages
- Online Memory Courses or Memory Software: Which is Better?
- Practical Yet Effective Memory Improvement Techniques
- The Pros and Cons of Memory Courses
- Top 5 Techniques for Phenomenal Memory Skills
- What to Look for in Memory Improvement Courses What to Look for in Memory Improvement Courses
- All About Omega 3 and Memory Improvement
- Exciting Ways To Improve Your Memory
- Hints You Need To Improve Your Memory
- How To Choose The Best Memory Program For You?
- Increase Memory Permanently
- Memory Techniques Schools Use
- Memory Software Programs - How They Help Boost Memory
- Newest Resources For Memory Improvement
- Things To Learn To Improve Your Memory
- Ways to Increase Memory Need Not Be Expensive
- 3 Fresh Ways To Increase Memory
- Common Contents of a Memory Improvement CD
- Enjoyable Memory Improvement Exercises
- Examples of Memory Improvement Tools
- Get Your Memory Skills Back With These Steps
- How to Avoid Brain Trauma and Improve Your Memory
- Tip to Improve Memory: How to Remember Locations
- Memory Programs Comparable to Brainetic
- Photographic Memory is Just at Arms Reach
- Revolutionary Ways to a Phenomenal Memory
- 7-Speed Reading
Increase your reading speed with 7-Speed Reading
- Ultimate Vocabulary
Build your vocabulary with Ultimate Vocabulary
- Ultimate Spelling
Spell better with Ultimate Spelling
Check your grammar with StyleWriter
Improve your grammar with with Write101's tutorials
- Gifts for lawyers
Large range. Ships worldwide. Order online at For Counsel
|Spelling Programs For Kids|
TipIf you are looking for a good spelling program for kids, we highly recommend you try the popular spelling software, Ultimate Spelling*. Click Ultimate Spelling for more details.
Since the invention of computers with spelling checkers, many people feel that learning to spell is no longer important. Actually, as Hook & Jones (2002) show us, spelling skills are directly connected to literacy, reading fluency, reading comprehension, and writing ability. What does that mean?
It means that learning to spell helps your child become a better reader and writer. A lot of research on spelling, and its effects on reading ability, went into creating a website that provides free spelling programs for kids. SpellingCity.com used clinical research to determine that children learn to spell by becoming familiar with their spelling words in a variety of situations.
Forget about writing the same words over and over, and thinking up ways to use them in a sentence. Children can now enter their weekly spelling list into the website and play all sorts of different games with them.
Reading fluency, the ability to read and comprehend easily without stumbling over the words, requires the child to be very familiar with the words in the English language. The child needs to be able to identify letter groups and patterns between similar words. This allows them to read words they have never seen before. It also gives them the ability to recognize misspelled words, both in their own writing and in others'.
Phonics describes the way words are put together, and is a big part of both reading and spelling. While many children develop phonics skills just by learning to read, some kids really need to have things explained to them.
If the skill of the day is ph- words, they need to be told that ph- makes an f sound, and then shown a variety of words, like phone, and physics. Then the child needs to work on looking for those words in a book or magazine or website.
SpellingCity.com allows the child to learn spelling skills in a fun and engaging way. When spelling becomes a game, the child will be much more motivated and interested in learning.
DuBois, Erickson & Jacobs (2007) found that when spelling education is done as an isolated subject, students do not really learn to spell. The traditional weekly spelling list, and the activities that come with it, don't actually teach kids to spell.
Children grow tired of writing their words over and over, looking up definitions, alphabetizing lists, and using each word in a sentence. More importantly, the kids usually memorize the words for one week, and then quickly forget and misspell them once they move on to next week's spelling list.
Direct instruction that involves looking for patterns, sorting words into groups, and playing games with the words improve kids' spelling immensely. Spelling programs for kids should be fun and entertaining. SpellingCity.com is a great place for kids to play games with their own weekly spelling words.
Hook, PE & Jones SD 2002, 'The Importance of Automaticity and Fluency For Efficient Reading Comprehension,' Perspectives, vol. 28, no. 1, pages 9-14.
DuBois, Erickson, K & Jacobs, M 2007, 'Improving Spelling of High Frequency Words for Transfer in Written Work,' Action Research Project Submitted to the Graduate Faculty of the School of Education, Saint Xavier University, Chicago, IL.